Sunday, September 22, 2013

America's Cup!


We've been following the progress of the race very closely. Seeing those big foiling catamarans up close zooming by at incredible speed is just awesome. So, Saturday the 21st of Spetember was supposed to be the last race day, with Oracle trailing by 7 points and Team New Zealand only one win away from grabbing the Cup. So, despite iffy weather forecast we made our way against the flood tide to be at the race course in time. Of course, on the way there we got rained on big time! Good thing to check if the new windows are water proof or not. They are! It rained for about one hour while we were motoring towards SF (not too much wind). I also noticed the skylight window in the front cabin leaks a bit. Another point on the checklist! 

Anyways, when we got to the Bay Bridge we saw that the boats where still docked at the AC village. Listening to the radio revealed that they were postponing the race till 13:30 due to the wind shift that came from the front.  The wind had shifted to the South, meaning that the race curse was severely skewed. In practice, this means it is not a upwind/downwind race, but rather 3 reaching legs. We call that in sailing a 'horse race', means there is little chance to pass except if you have more power somehow. This is almost impossible on a one design race, where the difference is made by how good the tacks/gybes go and which side to pick. So apparently there is a clause in the racing rules for the America's Cup where the wind angle has to be within certain limits.

The front passed through and the wind started shifting to the right, but unfortunately not enough. By the time the race limit had expired at 14:40, the wind was still too much off. So back we went, totally drenched from the rain, but at least we had a nice reach back under sunny skies and balmy winds. Clocking a total of 39 miles for the day!

OTUSA in front of Alcatraz


Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Golden Gate!

Constance sailing outside the Golden Gate!
Went sailing outside the Golden Gate for the first time in a while. Despite turbulent waters and winds in the upper 20s just inside the Gate, once we crossed outside it was wonderfully peaceful and calm. All sorts of sea birds were flying around, dolphins and porpoises were diving for fish, surfacing right next to the boat. We just went short of Pt Bonita, then heading back to the America's Cup spectacle. What a difference! 



Thursday, August 15, 2013

America's Cup!

Finally saw some AC72 action on the water! Team NWZ came flying by one boat length behind us, what a sight! These guys go at 40+ knots virtually flying over the water on hydrofoils. Compared to that we were practically standing still..



 

Friday, July 19, 2013

2000 miles!

Just realized, that's the total distance we have sailed so far on Constance, according to my logbook. Lots of fun sailing, new places, new experiences. Most difficult situation so far: Probably when I had to dive under the boat in the middle of Long Island Sound after we snatched a fishing net, with no other equipment than fins & snorkel plus a leatherman between my teeth! The lost prop in Suisun Bay comes close, though. Most awesome experience: being anchored over night at Coquenoe Island off Norwalk, and watching the sunset there, was always beautiful.


 

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Wild ride!

Went to Angel Island again last weekend. Forecast was 15-25kn along with a small craft advisory. Didn't think too much about it since we had the jib #3 set up that goes up to 35kn. Sailing was initially slow but the wind picked up after noon. Picture below is from the earlier where it was more like 5-10kn blowing. But after the Bay Bridge! White caps everywhere and a big swell, aggravated by 3 kn ebb running against the wind. Soon enough the wind was up to 25kn, then, 30, then even 35kn sustained! Huge steep waves building, and what started as a leisure cruise became pretty exciting! Luckily nothing broke and we tucked into Ayala Cove completely drenched and exhausted.
Looking pretty!


Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sailing again!

With the deck repair finished (except final touches) we can finally go sailing again! Boat runs nice with the new #3 jib and I also cleaned the bottom. We're making 8kn over ground with 25kn of wind and the main in the first reef!


 

Monday, May 20, 2013

Progress!

Took a little longer than initially planned, but now everything is faired, the balsa is well encapsulated, and only the final top skin of glass and the non skid needs to be applied. 
The West system epoxy works quite well but needs time to cure. Next weekend should see the final touches!
After fairing layer applied
After encapsulating