Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Gennaker!

I can't believe what a difference the new gennaker makes. Setting up is much easier as you don't have to worry about the pole, same with setting and dowsing. Since the area is somewhat smaller (750sqft vs 880 sqft on the big symmetric spi) it stays easier to handle even in big puffs. It also helps that the main projected area is lower compared to the symmetric spi. The boat doesn't go into a death roll downwind, but I still get down to 135deg apparent, and up to about 60deg apparent wind angle. What I haven't figured out completely is gybing, that still has a success rate <50% meaning I end up with a twist or some stuck lines most of the time. Also, not closing the halyard shackle results in the spi come crashing down and the halyard zipping up :-( and me later on climbing the mast to retrieve it back.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment