Thursday, July 12, 2012

July 4th cruise!


Moored at Ayala Cove, Angel Is.

Golden Gate
Alcatraz at sunset from Angel Island
For the week of 4th of July we had big plans, going on a little cruise with 2 friends from the NY. Just in time, I had the boat ready to cruise, with the prop installed and all systems in perfect conditions, including a new dinghy and a used outboard I got from one of my Benicia sailing friends. Turned out things on a sailboat never go as planned, especially if you're on a meticulously planned schedule. First, when refilling the water tanks I accidentally opened the wrong port and before I knew it filled some liters of water into the diesel tank. Ouch! It took us some time to siphon the water out from the bottom of the fuel tank (which is thankfully a V-shape design, that makes that part less difficult). Of course every time we switched on the engine later on there was some anxiety of the engine stalling, and the Racor filter was constantly monitored for signs of water collecting at the bottom. 

Finally we set sail and tacked out into San Pablo Bay into the building breeze. Like pretty much always, at Pinole Pt the wind picks up and we had to tuck in a reef. All of a sudden there was a snapping sound and the Jib came sliding down the forestay. Upon inspection we found the shackle missing that attaches the head of the sail to the upper part of the roller furling mechanism. It simply decided to let go without prior warning and was never seen again. Without foresail it would be difficult to make any headway upwind, so I bit the bullet and climbed the mast while we were sailing under main & engine alone. Collected some nice bruises thanks to some powerboat wake we had to go through while I was up there. After fixing the jib we went without further event and even got a mooring at Angel Island! The evening was crowned with a sunset walk to the top of Angel Island, beautiful views of the SF Bay with a low fog rolling in through the Golden Gate. 

The plan for the next day was to sail to Drakes Bay, out of the Golden Gate and into the open ocean. The weather forecast was calling for a moderate SW at 10-15kn, that should be perfect for going towards Pt Reyes in the NW. Unfortunately the tide was for the full morning against us so we got a late start at 11a to make it through the Golden Gate. We passed around 12:30 and tacked back and forth into the remainder of the flood tide. Meanwhile the wind was building, as it always does due to the thermal effects of the Central Valley. That blew away the fog, but rounding Pt Bonita we encountered some really confused sea state, with breakers 1/2 mile offshore. I didn't like that at all and we decided to keep cutting over the east end of the potato patch shoal which looked reasonably ok breakerwise. 

Once we cleared the patch which took us over one hour, it became clear that instead of the forecasted southwesterly we actually were facing dead upwind. Another 15mls to go would take us easily another 4-5hrs, we soon realized. No way  to make it to Drakes Bay before night fall! If we had known earlier we could have changed our plans to go to Half Moon Bay instead, but too late now! Quick considerations of all the options left only going back into SF Bay, what  a pity. So we turned around and decided to anchor for the night in Sausalito. Meanwhile the wind was blowing a good 25-30kn and we  took down the main and sail under jib only to prevent broaching in the now considerable waves rolling from behind. What a ride back into the Bay! By the time we finally dropped the hook in Sausalito we were happy not to have carried on. After a great dinner we had a nice and quiet evening watching the sunset.
Next day started beautiful and the promised SW finally set in, but unfortunately we were out of time so we couldn't go back out there. Another time then! Instead we went around Alcatraz, along the SF water front and slowly made our way home to Benicia.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The prop project!

propeller assembly ready to roll
Finally we're moving again, hurray! After some agonizing weeks trying to figure out how to install the old prop I got it all done. I eventually got the installation kit online (2 bronze locking nuts, the bronze keyway, and the cotter pin). Who would have thought there are so many different options to install a prop! As a further complication, everything had to be installed under water. Here in the marina the waters are not that clear, visibility about 20cm, so I spend a lot of time diving under the boat and securing everything in place. The most difficult part was the installation of the final cotter pin, which didn't like to go into its prescribed hole. I used up my 2 spare ones in the process and was almost ready to give up. Now that the prop is all clean and polished, the boat actually moves quite swiftly around, getting around 6.5kn at 2200rpm. With the 2blade Martec I got to that speed around 1800rpm and you can feel that the 3blade just doesn't have as much power. But at least it won't fall off (I hope!). As for that, I still haven't figured out how the 2blade came off by itself. I guess that will remain a puzzle...

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hookah dive system!

Airline 12V160-3 Hookah Dive System ready for action
My newest equipment addition: A 12V battery driven Hookah dive system! Comes with a 60ft pipe and a regulator that allows me diving under the boat for repairs, cleaning etc (oops, dropped something into the drink? Not a problem any more!). Already used it for cleaning the bottom and checking the new prop attachment. Works flawlessly, love it! I stayed like 30min under the boat and the main battery bank went just slightly down to 12.4V. 

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Adrenaline high!

This was supposed to be a leisure sail into the Sacramento river delta, yet it turned out to be quite some adventure! Weather forecast was W10-15kn increasing to 15-20kn in the afternoon, nothing to be worried about on our boat. I guess I didn't really appreciate the thermal effects around here, where a really strong westerly kicks up as soon as the Central Valley heats up. So the Central Valley forecast had temperatures around 95F in the forecast, really hot and early for the season and plus the San Francisco Bay being still cold. So quite a thermal gradient here! More about that later..
Anyways we set out and tucked in a reef just to be safe and went riding up the flood tide at 8-9kn over ground, woohoo. On the way we got passed by some of the boats racing the Delta Ditch run (but not too many :-)) And as soon as we turned the corner after the bridge things really heated up. The guy in front of us wiped out with his spinnaker and we quickly reefed the jib. So after passing Middle ground we decided to stop for extended lunch break behind one of the islands and wait for the tide to turn to get back home. As we took the sail down I suddenly noticed that the engine didn't have any power and all of a sudden we were drifting with the current towards some sandbanks. Oops. So we unrolled the jib and sailed to some more or less protected spot where we dropped the anchor.
Track through Suisun Bay
After things had settled down I took out my snorkel gear and dove below the boat to see what had happened. Visibility in the murky water was about 4 inch (=10cm) so it was hard so see anything. So I couldn't almost believe my eyes when I finally found where the prop was supposed to be and was staring at a bare propeller shaft instead! Somehow the locking nut must have come loose and we had simply lost our prop!
Meanwhile the wind had started kicking up and we were witness to numerous boats in the race wiping out, shredding spinnakers, plus quite some chatter on the radio on grounded boats, dismasting etc. Jikes! So how to get back home without engine, not even thinking about getting docked! We waited for the tide to subside somewhat and then went to the task getting the anchor up hand over hand. Also, we had put in the 2nd reef in the main and went hauling on the chain while the boat was sailing left and right with the main up. Finally the anchor broke out and we were on our way! On the way back not too many boats any more. The wind kicked up to sustained 25-30kn with some gusts around 35kn. With the 2nd reef in and only maybe 1/3 of the jib we still were able to make 5kn headway on some pretty decent tacking angles (see pic!). Kudos to Olin Stephens! The channel is pretty narrow and we ended up tacking a total of 37 times till we made the Benicia harbor entrance. Totally exhausted, we finally arrived at the harbor entrance, after some anxious moments under the bridge, where we had to tack in fickle winds to avoid being swept on the bridge towers.
Docking turned out to be quite easy, as the wind had finally come down a bit and we were merely coasting into our berth. So now I just have to figure out how to get a new prop on and then we can go out again!

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sausalito!


Sailed to Sausalito and anchored in Richardson Bay over night. Impressive fog rolling in from the Pacific Ocean. On the way back it got quite windy with gusts up to 30kn. After staying at China Camp for lunch break we zoomed across San Pablo Bay with no main and just half of the jib up, at 7kn+ boat speed! Kind of different from last time where we were struggling getting back home..

Sunset at Richardson Bay

Windy day requires some gear!

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Angel Island!

Ayala Cove, Angel Island

Golden Gate Bridge
First time pleasure sailing with Constance into the Central Bay area. This is a 50mile roundtrip so it requires an overnight stay. Perfect for a weekend! We stayed at Angel Island's Ayala Cove. You need to moor the boats between 2 buoys bow and stern which is a bit tricky given the shifty winds and currents in that cove. I bought a new 100ft mooring line for that purpose and it actually worked on first try! One problem is to get ashore since we don't have a dinghy (yet!). Thankfully a helpful boat neighbor gave us a lift with his inflatable and also picked us up on the way back. California is a friendly place! The next morning we went around the island, checked out the Golden Gate, Alcatraz and the SF waterfront before starting the long slough back. Took us 7 hours to get back as the current was  quite strong and the winds were super light. Good thing is the shallow draft of the Tartan34, so we could duck into the shallows on the southern side of the San Pablo Bay to avoid the most of the current.

Monday, April 9, 2012

More maintenance!

I meant to post this a while ago: Here is what the boatyard in Berkeley did to improve the spreader. When I shipped the mast there they found out that one of the spreaders had developed a crack in the aluminium on the trailing edge. They could still weld the crack, but the root cause of the problem was a construction feature (or flaw) of single spreader S&S designs, which allows the spreader to move freely back and forth to better respond to loads on the mast when sailing. As a result, the lee spreader is kind of flopping back and forth when under way, hence the wear on the edges. The yard machined jackets around the stressed area of the spreader and also changed the connectors to the mast such that the spreader won't be able to move any longer (see picture). That should last the foreseeable future and was actually much cheaper than replacing the whole assembly. I never really like the sight of the floppy spreader so I'm quite happy with it!
New spreader jackets
Other than that we rebedded the chain plates, and sealed the mast foot which was leaking a bit. So far no more rain water in the bilge! We'll see what else is leaking in the next big rain :-). Also, I got a shipment of balsa core and xbonded fiber glass to tackle the next big chore: replacing the soft spots in the deck and on the cabin top. I have to admit I'm a little nervous about that one, probably will start with the cabin top as it is a smaller spot and less conspicuous. In case I mess up it should be easier to fix..
As for cruising, we've been taking the boat out quite a bit, and I'm still marveling about the Martec folding prop, quietly but efficiently pushing the boat in and out of the marina and sometimes against the raging currents of the Carquinez Strait. I'm also getting a lot of practice reversing the boat into the slip. Not an easy task when it is windy, but so far no scratches to report!